With daily schedules getting busier by the days, the more you would find yourself leaning towards a more nutrient-dense breakfast, just so that you could keep your productivity levels up the entire day. If that’s the case, this cherry tomato with balsamic glaze on toast recipe would be perfect for you!
This bright and filling breakfast comes with flavor and nutrition from not only the mashed avocado but most importantly the tart cherry tomatoes. Don’t be put off by the tart from the cherry tomatoes as they are balanced out by the sweetness coming from the basil leaves and balsamic glaze!
So how do we create this filling breakfast which could be anticipated every morning? Don’t worry as I’m about to satisfy your massive craving by showing you how to make your very own recipe – cherry tomatoes with balsamic glaze on toast!
Table of Content
- Brief Summary of What you Need
- Summary of Making Cherry Tomatoes with Balsamic Glaze on Toast
How to Make Toasted Sourdough: The Base
To make your sourdough bread crispy and toasted, you’d first need to toast your sourdough! If, however, you prefer to have the sourdough just as it is without toasting, go ahead as it tastes wonderful as well!
Before you start toasting I’d recommend that you first slice your sourdough to a thickness that is not too thin (about 2cm is right). This gives your sourdough “body” or enough thickness for an overall pleasant eating experience!
Toasting the sourdough bread is easy. All you’ve got to do is place the sourdough slices onto a dry heated frying pan, toasting both sides till they both become crispy. You could choose to do a dry toast or you could toast with a drizzle of water or ghee (other cooking oil that can handle high heat is fine too)! Here’s the process:
Dry toasting – Season the sourdough with a dash of salt and pepper on both sides then place it on a dry heated frying pan. Remove when both sides turned crispy.
Toasting with water/ghee – Drizzle each side of the sourdough bread with a touch of water or ghee, then season with a dash of salt and pepper on both sides and start toasting. Remove sourdough from the pan once both sides are nicely toasted.
Take note that if you chose to dry toast or toast with a touch of water, the flavor would be flat and wouldn’t be as nutty or buttery as compared to if you chose to toast with ghee.
Here’s What You Need to Make Cherry Tomatoes with Balsamic Glaze on Toast
This toast recipe is just packed with flavor, colors, and nutrition. What I love about this toast recipe is that it’s so simple to make, yet could fill you up from morning all the way to the afternoon! All you’d need are plain sourdough, avocado, garlic, shallots, lemon, cherry tomatoes, fresh sweet basil leaves, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and a dash of sea salt. That is it to make this toast variant!
You might be thinking: What are the garlic and shallots for? They are added to your avocado mash for additional flavor, sharpness, and acidity. However, this step is optional for those who dislike the strong taste of raw garlic and shallots or are having GI problems or IBS.
Here’s a Summary of Making Cherry Tomatoes with Balsamic Glaze on Toast!
- Drizzle both sides of sourdough with either water or olive oil
- Toast sourdough till both sides turn crispy
- Make the avocado puree
- Spread the avocado puree over the toasted sourdough
- Dot the sourdough with halved cherry tomatoes all over
- Garnish the whole mixture with chopped basil leaves
- Drizzle the balsamic glaze all over the cut tomatoes
This recipe may seem complicated but it’s actually far from that! Here are the full ingredients list and steps to follow through for this wonderful toast recipe:
- 1 slice sourdough
- 1/2 avocado (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 shallot (minced)
- 1/2 lemon
- 4 cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 3-4 basil leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Heat up your dry frying pan
- While waiting for frying pan to be heated up, drizzle the sourdough both sides with either water or ghee then season the sourdough with a dash of sea salt and pepper.
- Toast your sourdough bread on the heated frying pan. Only remove from pan once it has turned crispy or hardened
- Slice the avocado into half, cutting around the shape of the pit situated in the middle of the flesh
- Scoop out the avocado flesh with a spoon then transfer to an empty bowl. At this point, squeeze in a little lemon juice from half a lemon to prevent oxidation of avocado. Season this mixture with a dash of sea salt and black pepper
- Start mincing 3 cloves of garlic and half a shallot and add them to the avocado puree. Mix them through till well incorporated
- Spread the avocado puree all over the toasted bread
- Slice 4 cherry tomatoes into halves then dot them all over the avocado puree. Season the cherry tomatoes with a dash of sea salt and black pepper
- Slice the fresh basil leaves finely and sprinkle some over toast mixture, filling the gaps between the cherry tomatoes
- Prepare the balsamic glaze by combining 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and leftover lemon juice from the avocado puree making
- Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the cherry tomatoes. Enjoy the toast!