There’s nothing more classic and basic than having avocado spread on top of your toasted sourdough for breakfast! Having creamy avocado spread onto well-toasted sourdough bread has got to be one of my favorite quick meals in the morning! In fact, the avocado spread is so delicious on its own that I decided to tweak it a little, by adding more ingredients to the base spread!
By adding more ingredients and seasonings to the base spread, more colors and flavors are introduced to the mix! Of course, who would lay their hands off of this toast variation when it’s that much more appealing?
Without any further delay, let’s jump right straight into the ingredients list and recipe on how to make this avocado toast variation!
Table of Content
What is Avocado Toast with Rocket Salad?
We all know what avocado spread is. By spreading the avocado spread onto the toast, you’d get yourself an avocado toast. But having your usual avocado toast can be quite boring for some, which is why I added additional ingredients for the extra flavors and appearance! If you’re a fan of having something sharp and acidic, you’ll love this combination. This avocado toast variation gets a generous spread of sliced radishes and alfalfa over it, making sure you get your fiber checked!
Before we discuss what ingredients should be included in this recipe, we have to make the necessary mention of avocado, especially topics around how you could select the best avocado for this recipe. (no one wants to use mushy and overripen avocados!)
Always select avocados which you think may be soft, silky, and nutty. What this means is always select good quality avocados! Don’t know how to select avocados? There are many tips and tricks to follow when selecting the best avocado from your local market! Follow this guide to know more about avocado selection.
The wonderful thing about this recipe is that it is fairly simple to follow and is not at all complicated! In fact, the hardest part of this recipe is just the making of the avocado spread! Because it’s not your ordinary avocado spread, there’re more steps for preparation than usual! But don’t worry; more steps usually indicate more flavor at the end!
The secret ingredient for this recipe would be the shallots! Shallots add the “sharpness” element alongside lime and green chili, which both provide “acid” and heat to the dish. This elevates the dish to a whole different level as opposed to having just a plain avocado spread!
For the avocado spread, all you’ll need is:
- Green Chilli
- Coriander / Parsley
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
As for the garnishes, we are going with something that brings out the “sharpness” and crunch element of the recipe, such as red radishes. For the extra nutritional benefits and look of the recipe as a whole, alfalfa is also added as garnish! If you want this toast to be more filling that can last you till the afternoon, you could always add an egg on top! Why? Because eggs are a great source of protein and healthy fats, these macronutrients help keep you full longer, stretching your satiety further!
How to Make the Avocado Toast with Rocket Salad – Step by Step
Avocado toast may be tedious to make, but it’s actually easier than you thought! The part that takes the longest to complete would have to be the pounding and mixing of all ingredients for the avocado spread – all taking place in a pestle and mortar! However, don’t worry as you will be guided along!
- You can start by pounding garlic cloves in a pestle and mortar. The trick is to add a pinch of salt onto the garlic cloves before pounding. The salt acts as a catalyst for the breaking-down process! Pounding garlic cloves releases the aroma and beneficial allicin compounds of the garlic into the dishes. Pound the garlic cloves till they become mushy, almost like a garlic puree!
- Add chopped shallots and sliced green chili into the mix and pound! Continue pounding until the mix becomes disintegrated. Start adding parsley or coriander leaves in when you see all the previous ingredients which you added have blended well together.
- Add a few glugs of olive oil into the mix at any point of time you’d think the mix has turned dry. Just be careful not to overdo it as you do not want an overly wet avocado spread for your toast!
- Next would be adding in your lovely avocado to the mix and pound again!
- Once fully incorporated, it’s time to add in your seasonings! I’m talking about the lime and salt and black pepper! Adjust them accordingly and stop when you are satisfied with the taste of your avocado spread! Your avocado spread should taste a bit sour due to the lime added, but take note that it shouldn’t be too sour! By adding lime, acid is introduced into the mix, balancing the richness of the avocado and also help delay the “browning effect” of avocado!
- Start toasting the sourdough bread on both sides to get the crispy effect.
- Spread the avocado spread over the toasted sourdough bread then garnish the bread with sliced radishes and half-boiled eggs! After which, decorate the mix with a touch of alfalfa!
- Bread – The foundation of this recipe can be swapped with many other types of bread – sprouted rye bread and whole-grain bread
- Lime juice – If there’s no lime at home, you could always use lemon to replace it. In that case, using only 1/2 lemon juice would do!
- Red Radish – If you don’t fancy red radishes, you can always switch it up with cherry tomatoes! Cherry tomatoes also provide the same color contrast as red radishes and the same taste profile!
- Alfalfa – Not everyone loves having alfalfa as part of their diet, so if you’d like to replace it, you can go with watercress! Watercress provides the recipe with the same final “sharpness”. Otherwise, you could always omit that!
These are the ingredients and steps you’d need for this avocado toast recipe (serving for 2 pax):
- 2 slices of sourdough bread
- 1/2 avocado
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 shallot
- 1 green chili
- 1 bunch of coriander (chopped)
- 2 limes / Half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 1 whole egg (boiled)
- Handful of Alfalfa
- 1 red radish (sliced)
- Heat up a dry frying pan.
- Start toasting the sourdough bread both sides till browned on the dry frying pan.
- Next, start making the avocado spread by first pounding and grinding few cloves of garlic in a pestle & mortar until it turns mush, almost like a garlic puree.
- Next, add in chopped shallots, sliced green chilli, and a bunch of chopped coriander leaves and start pounding again. Pound till they start breaking down in the pestle & mortar. This releases flavor and “sharpness” into the mix.
- Add in few glurgs of olive oil once the mix has turned dry! Be careful of how much olive oil you add in to avoid soaking the mix!
- Slice an avocado into half then scoop out the flesh and transfer to the pestle & mortar. Pound them up and start mixing till it eventually forms a spread or a paste.
- Season the avocado spread with sea salt and black pepper.
- Squeeze in 2 lime juice to the mix and stir! Avoid adding too much limes as it would turn too sour. Adjust the seasoning acordingly!
- Once that’s done, spread the avocado mix onto the the toasted sourdough bread.
- Garnish the avocado toast with sliced boiled egg, sliced red radishes and a handful of alfalfa!